Sunday, August 13, 2006

Nathan & Dad's Big Adv. - Day 2

WILLIAMSBURG, VA - Once I was able to get Nathan up, we started the day with a good breakfast as a local pancake house. He ordered a lot of food and we even bet whether or not he'd be able to finish it. It was close, but I won and he had to not watch any DVD's on the way to Myrtle Beach.

After we checked out, we headed over to Colonial Williamsburg for a series of re-enactments covering event in the former Virginia capital from 1776 to 1781. First, we ran into Patrick Henry. He was taking questions from the audience. I didn't get a chance to let him know that Sandy had portrayed him in elementary school, though. Other noteworthy figures that we "met" included Benedict Arnold, Lafayette, and George Washington.

Nathan enjoyed it (despite the picture) and we plan to go back some time this year. I learned an important lesson, too. Charge my camera battery every night while on vacation! It died, just as I was bout to get a nice shot of the original "George W."

We finally headed out of town around 1:30 and did not arrive in Myrtle Beach until 9:00. Perhaps my plan to take the scenic route and avoid interstates could have been better thought out. As it turns out, "little" Mike was performing at a local coffee house and we missed his last song by maybe half an hour. We stayed long enough to catch a couple songs by two other singers, including Sister Otis (www.sistaotis.com). Although she's originally from Detroit, she's sort of a local favorite. Unfortunately, I only got to see one of her songs, before Nathan just had to leave. I'd put him through a tough enough day in the car that I didn't want to push him.

Finally got to bed around 11:30. I think we both slept very well.

No comments: